There’s usually no fraud protection with payment apps. Per the terms and conditions P2P is a money transfer service. As a result, transactions may result in the loss of funds with no recourse.
This means you can’t cancel the transfer in a payment app if you accidently transfer your money to the wrong person (or to a scammer).
- Cash App. Cash App recommends chatting through their app for the fastest service. To do so, open the app, go to your profile, and choose Support. You can also get help through cash.app/help or by calling 1 (800) 969-1940.
- Venmo. Venmo recommends chatting through their app for the fastest service. To do so, open the app, go to your profile, and choose Get Help. You can also email Venmo through their contact form or call them at 1 (855) 812-4430.
- PayPal. Report it online through PayPal’s Resolution Center or call PayPal at 1 (888) 221-1161.
- Zelle. If you are enrolled with the Zelle® app and found an unauthorized transaction, please call us directly at 1(844) 428-8542.
If you paid a scammer with a mobile payment app, report it to the Federal Trade Commission at ReportFraud.ftc.gov. When you report a scam, you help the FTC and other law enforcement agencies stop scams.
- Use P2P payment apps only with people you know and trust. Per the terms and conditions – P2P payments should not be used for purchases of goods and services. Ex: buying tickets
- Always double-check the recipient’s information to make sure you’re sending money to the right person. A good practice is to have the intended recipient send you a request before you send the money.
- You should never have to transfer money to receive money from an app. If you are asked to do this, it’s a scam.
- Create unique passwords for accounts consisting of at least 10 characters, including: upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters.
- Disable automatic logins and set up notifications for all payment transactions.
- Never provide sensitive account information to someone on the phone, text, or to links in an email. Legitimate customer service representatives will not ask for this information.
- Share your travel plans with your financial institution.
- Utilize transaction and activity alerts within online banking and Brella for your accounts. If you receive an alert for a transaction you don’t recognize, contact your financial immediately.